- Waste to energy technologies: Understanding the effect of environmental conditions on microbial communities in process engineering technologies such as anaerobic digestion and biofuels.
- Biological wastewater treatment: Innovative development, testing and implementation of various biological wastewater treatment systems for domestic, fecal and livestock waste that are relevant to utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, technology providers and users.
- Application of anaerobic digestion in developing countries: Understanding the link between the design, operation and maintenance of small-scale AD systems on their performance and geographical, cultural and economic appropriateness.
- Quantitative microbial risk assessment: Identifying biological agents of concern to human health from reuse of biosolids from treated wastewater.
- Water Sanitation and Hygiene: Developing water supply and sanitation technologies to empower communities threatened by unimproved water supply and sanitation.