- B.S., Magna Cum Laude, Mechanical Engineering, Louisiana State University, 1976.
- M.S., with Distinction, Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University, 1978.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, Design Division, 1982.
Area of thesis research:
Post Graduate Courses and Continuing Education:
- Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and Prevention, UCSD School of Medicine Office of Continuing Medical Education, Oct. 23-24, 1999 (only attended the first day).
- Impact Biomechanics and Occupant Restraint Issues, Association of Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Portsmouth, NH, Oct. 16-17, 1997.
- Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and Prevention, UCSD School of Medicine Office of Continuing Medical Education, Nov. 11-12, 1995.
- Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and Prevention, UCSD School of Medicine Office of Continuing Medical Education, Nov. 16-17, 1991.
- Biomechanics of Trauma, Institute of Medical Education and Research, San Diego, CA, Oct. 20-21, 1983.
Awards and Honors
- Machine Design Award from ASME for Research Contributions in Kinematics and Computer-Aided Design, 2005.
- Dedicated Service Award, ASME, 2004.
- Gustus Larson Memorial Award for Outstanding Achievements in Mechanical Engineering within 10 to 20 years of Graduation, ASME.
- Elected as Fellow of ASME, April 1997.
- Design Automation Award for sustained and meritorious contributions to the field of Design Automation, ASME, 1997.
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1987.
- Honorary Fellow, Mathematics Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1984-87.
- Phi Kappa Phi, Pi Tau Sigma, Pi Mu Epsilon.
- M.S. Degree with Distinction.
- B. S. Degree Magna Cum Laude.
- Tenneco Engineering Excellence Incentive Award.
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Member of the Society of Automotive Engineers
- Member of the Association for Advancement of Automotive Medicine
- Member of the International Society of Biomechanics