Associate Professor Seongkyu Lee
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
2104 Bainer Hall
University of California, Davis
Davis, CA 95616
Email: skulee at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-4432
Research: Professor Lee’s research focuses on aerodynamics, aeroacoustics, and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) with applications to fixed-wing aircraft, rotorcraft, wind energy, aircraft engine, and turbomachinery. Professor Lee worked at GE Global Research Center in New York for five years prior to joining UC Davis.
Computational Flow Physics and Aeroacoustics (CFPA) Lab students are currently working on rotorcraft CFD and aeroacoustics, rotor broadband noise predictions, dynamic stall, trailing edge noise, and computational aeroacoustics.
Professor Lee is a faculty advisor of the ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) undergraduate club at UC Davis.
Research and Lab Highlights
- July, 2021: Prof. Lee received the UC Davis Graduate Program Advising and Mentorship Award.
- July, 2021: Prof. Lee interviewed with Bloomberg about eVTOL noise.
- May, 2021: We have received a new three-year NASA ULI (University Leadership Initiative) grant about eVTOL aircraft design and optimization.
- March, 2021: Kevin Li and Jared Sagaga (PhD students) received the Vertical Flight Foundation (VFF) scholarships.
- February, 2021: Prof. Lee interviewed with Capital Radio about the viability and challenges of off-shore wind energy.
- December, 2020: The development and accomplishment stories of UCD-QuietFly, which is a multi-rotor broadband noise prediction tool, were published in Aerospace America.
- December, 2020: Henry Jia (PhD student) gave an invited talk at NASA Ames about his PhD work on coaxial rotor noise and UAM rotor noise.
- May, 2020: We have received NSF XSEDE HPC computer resource for our research in aeroacoustics including drone rotor noise.
- April, 2020: Prof. Lee was featured in UC Davis Give Day movie.
- January, 2020: We have received a research grant from Hyundai Motor Company for urban air mobility aircraft noise research.
- August, 2018: Prof. Lee received the Hellman Fellowship Award, which is an early-career faculty award at UC Davis.
- November, 2017: Henry Jia (PhD Student)’s VFF award was featured in Vertiflite magazine, which is a publication of AHS International.
- July, 2017: Henry Jia (PhD Student) has received the Vertical Flight Foundation (VFF) scholarship from the American Helicopter Society (AHS).
- June, 2016: We have received a research grant from the US Army for rotorcraft aeroacoustic research and joined a new Vertical Lift Research Center of Excellence (VLRCOE) team.
- January, 2016: Prof. Lee gave an invited talk at NASA Ames Research Center about acoustic scattering and nonlinear sound propagation.