Assistant Professor Seongkyu Lee
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
2013 Bainer Hall
University of California Davis
Davis, CA 95616
Email: skulee at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-4432
Research : Professor Lee’s research focuses on aerodynamics, aeroacoustics, and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) with applications to fixed-wing aircraft, rotorcraft, wind energy, aircraft engine, and turbomachinery. Professor Lee worked at GE Global Research Center in New York for five years prior to joining UC Davis.
Computational Flow Physics and Aeroacoustics (CFPA) Lab students are working on rotorcraft aerodynamics and acoustics, flow control and machine learning, turbulent boundary layer flows and trailing edge noise, dynamic stall and unsteady aerodynamics, and wind turbine aerodynamics and acoustics.
Professor Lee is a faculty advisor of the ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) undergraduate club at UC Davis.
Research and Lab Highlights
- August, 2018: Prof. Lee received the Hellman Fellowship Award, which is an early-career faculty award at UC Davis. The project title is Toward quiet transformative electrical vertical aircraft (https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/11-hellman-fellows-in-programs-11th-year) .
- Nov., 2017: Henry Jia (PhD Student)’s VFF award was featured in Vertiflite magazine, which is a publication of AHS International (https://vtol.org/vertiflite/2017_Nov_Dec/files/assets/common/downloads/page0014.pdf).
- July, 2017: Henry Jia (PhD Student) has received the Vertical Flight Foundation (VFF) scholarship from the American Helicopter Society (AHS). He was invited to the American Helicopter Society (AHS) International 73rd Annual Forum Grand Awards Banquet, which took place on May, 10, 2017. Please check out Henry’s biography posted on the AHS website. https://vtol.org/education/vertical-flight-foundation-scholarships/featured-biographies?studentID=403
- June, 2016: We have received a research grant from the US Army for rotorcraft aeroacoustic research and joined a new Vertical Lift Research Center of Excellence (VLRCOE) team. The award news was published in the Vertiflite magazine of the American Helicopter Society, March-April, 2017, (https://vtol.org/vertiflite/2017_Mar_Apr/files/assets/common/downloads/page0012.pdf)
- Jan., 2016: Prof. Lee gave an invited talk at NASA Ames Research Center about acoustic scattering and nonlinear sound propagation. The presentation clip is available in the link here. http://www.nas.nasa.gov/publications/ams/2016/01-29-16.html