- Ph.D. — Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering (May 2001)
- M.S.C.E. — Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering (December 1997)
- B.S.C.E. with High Honors — University of California, Davis, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering (March 1996)
- Overseas Fellow (January 2016-present), Churchill College and Academic Visitor, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
- Professor (July 2012-present), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA.
- Associate Professor (July 2007-June 2012), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA.
- Gledden Fellow (January 2010-July 2010), Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia.
- Assistant Professor (July 2005-July 2007), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA.
- Assistant Professor (January 2002-July 2005), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA.
- National Science Foundation International Research Fellow (2001-2002), Center for Offshore Foundation Systems, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia.
- LADWP (2015-2016) – staff training on site characterization and consulting on site characterization programs for several large dam projects
- AECOM/DWR (2015) – peer review of levee vegetation report and research program
- ConeTec Inc. (2014) – short course on site characterization of soft sediments
- HDR Inc. (2014-2015) – site investigation and characterization of Newport, OR dams
- Geosyntec Consultants (2012) – design, implementation, and analysis of bio-cementation field trial
- California Department of Water Resources (w/ GEI Consultants) (2012) – development of seismic design criteria for California Delta Region
- ConeTec (2011) – evaluation and recommendations on full-flow testing in very soft sediments
- Meyers-Allison LLC. (2008-2011) – expert witness in legal case regarding ground improvement
- Fugro Offshore (2008-2010) – evaluation and recommendations of CPT u2 saturation and measurement procedures
- GEI Consultants (2008-2009) – training of engineers and evaluation of levee stability project for California
- gINT (2008-2009) – evaluation and development of geotechnical design software
- ENGEO (2007-2008) – examination of intermediate soil behavior subjected to dynamic loading assessed through advanced laboratory testing.
- Earth Mechanics (2007) – examination of rate effects on old bay mud for seismic reassessment of Dumbarton-Antioch Bridge.
- Schnabel Engineering (1998-2000) – co-consultant on investigation of causes of failed cofferdam.
- Long, Weinberg, Ansley and Wheeler (1997) – co-consultant to determine validity of construction complaint of engineer design on Pickettville Road Landfill Site Remedial Construction.
- Taber Consultants Engineers and Geologists (1995-1996) – staff engineer responsible for lab testing, field drilling and sampling, field classification, seismic survey, infiltration tests, on-site construction monitoring, monitoring well installation/sampling/monitoring.
Honors and Awards
- ICE Telford Premium Prize (2016) – Paper of the Year for Ground Improvement Journal
- ASTM International Hogentogler Award (2015) – Paper of the Year for ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal
- ICE TK Hsieh Prize (2014) – Paper of the Year for Geotechnique Journal
- ASCE Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize (2013)
- Shamsher Prakash Research Award (2011)
- ASCE Arthur Casagrande Professional Development Award (2007)
- ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) 2003 International Hogentogler Award, Best Paper of the Year Award for the ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, Reference: DeJong, J.T and Frost, J.D., (2002) “A Multi-Friction Sleeve Attachment for the Cone Penetrometer”, ASTM Journal of Geotechnical Testing, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 111-127.
- Lilly Teaching Fellowship (2003-2004), Center for Teaching, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Sowers Outstanding Graduate Student Award (2001), Geosystems Group, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- ADSC Civil Engineering Graduate Study Scholarship (1998-99), American Drilled Shaft Contractors and International Association of Foundation Drilling
- Presidential Fellowship (1997-2001), Georgia Institute of Technology
- Schnabel Engineering Research Grant (1997), Schnabel Engineering
- Star Enterprise Fellowship (1996-98), Texaco-Star
- United States Society of Dams (2015-present)
- Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (2015-present)
- University States Universities Council on Geotechnical Education and Research, Member (2002-present)
- International Society of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering (2001-present)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Associate Member (1999-present)
- Sigma Xi, Associate Member (1998-present)
- National Earthquake Engineering Simulation Consortium (2004-2015)
- Canadian Geotechnical Society, International Member (2003-2005)
- American Society for Testing and Materials, Member (2002-2006)
- Transportation Research Board, Young Member (2002-2005)
- ADSC-International Association of Foundation Drilling, Associate Member (1998-2004)
- Georgia Tech Geotechnical Society, Member (1996-2001)
- Engineer in Training, License #XE096729, State of California (1995)
Professional Committee Service
- Secretary & Member (2014-present) – ISSMGE, TC102, Ground Property Characterization from In-situ Tests
- Member (2012-present) – ASCE, Soil Properties and Modeling Committee
- Member (2003-present) – ASCE, Engineering Geology and Site Characterization
- Chair (2008-2012) – ASCE, Soil Properties and Modeling Committee Member &
- Secretary (2003-2007) – ASCE, Soil Properties and Modeling Committee
- Member (2003-2008) – University States University Council on Geotechnical Education and Research, Research Committee
- Member (2002-2005) – ASTM, Committee D18.02 – Sampling and Related Field Testing for Soil Evaluation
- Member (2002-2005) – ASTM, Committee D18.05 – Strength and Compressibility of Soils
- Young Member & Secretary (2002-2005) – TRB, Committee AFS20 – Soils and Rock Instrumentation
- ICE, Geotechnique Letters (2016 – present)
- ASCE, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering (2008 – present)
- ICE, Environmental Geotechnics (2013 – present)
- ASTM, Geotechnical Testing Journal (2006 – 2013)
- Acta Geotechnica
- ASTM, Journal of Geotechnical Testing
- ASTM, Journal of Testing and Evaluation
- ASTM, Journal of ASTM International
- ASCE, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Applied Geochemistry
- Canadian Geotechnical Journal
- Computers and Geotechnics
- Construction and Building Materials
- Construction Materials
- Ecological Engineering
- Engineering Geology
- Environmental Geotechnics
- Environmental Science and Technology
- Geotechnical and Geological Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Geotechnique Letters
- Geotextiles and Geomembranes
- International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods
- International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering
- Journal of ASTM International
- Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
- KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering
- Reviews in Environmental Science and Biotechnology
- Science of the Total Environment
- Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- Soils and Foundations
- Transportation Research Record
Research Proposal Reviewer
- Brazil Science Foundation
- National Science Foundation
- Israel Science Foundation
- Italian Ministry of Education and Research
- Swiss National Science Foundation
- Technology Foundation STW, Netherlands
Short Courses & Workshops
- “Soil Engineering In-vivo: Harnessing Natural Biogeochemical Systems for Sustainable Multi-Functional Solutions”, Master Class,Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Western Australia, April 22, 2010.
- “Geotechnical Site Characterization: Integrated In Situ Testing, Drilling & Sampling, & Laboratory Testing”, GeoCongress 2013, March 3, 2013.
- “Geotechnical Site Characterization: Integrated In Situ Testing, Drilling & Sampling, & Laboratory Testing”, GeoCongress 2014, March 23, 2014.
- “Soil Liquefaction During Earthquakes – Recent Developments”, UC Davis, Oct. 24, 2014.
- “Site Characterization of Soft Sediments”, ConeTec, Inc., Vancouver, Canada, Nov. 13, 2014.
- “Gravel Characterization Workshop”, UC Davis, April 1, 2015.
- “Soil Liquefaction During Earthquakes – Recent Developments”, Seattle, Washington, May 1, 2015.
- “Integrated Site Characterization”, UC Davis, Oct. 23, 2015.
Conference Session Moderator / Organizer
- Armstrong, R. and DeJong, J.T. (2014) Characterization of Gravelly Soils Using Laboratory, In Situ, and Numerical Techniques, GeoCongress Atlanta 2014, February 23-26, 2014.
- DeJong, J.T. (2014) Characterization of Intermediate Soils Using Laboratory, In Situ, and Numerical Techniques, GeoCongress Atlanta 2014, February 23-26, 2014.
- DeJong, J.T. and Soga, K. (2011) “Bio-Mediated Soil Improvement” (series of three sessions), ASCE Geo-Congress, Dallas, Texas, March 15, 2011.
- DeJong, J.T. (2008) “Emerging Opportunities in Harnessing Bio-Mediated Processes for Geotechnical Applications”, ASCE Geo-Congress, New Orleans, Lousiana, March 10, 2008.
- DeJong, J.T. (2006) Session on Dynamic Soil Properties, 8th National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, CA, April 19, 2006.DeJong, J.T. and Frost, J.D. (2006) Session on Role of Information Technology in Learning and Education, Geotechnical Engineering in the Information Technology Age Conference, GeoCongress Atlanta 2006, February 26 – March 1, 2006.
- DeJong, J.T. (2005) “Field Methods for Detection of Stratigraphic Interfaces and Thin Layers”, American Society of Civil Engineers, Geotechnical Special Publication, for the American Society of Civil Engineers, Geo-Institute, Geo-Frontiers 2005 Austin Conference
- DeJong, J.T. and McDowell, G. (2005) “Session II: MicroGeomechanics from the Millistrain Perspective”, NSF-EPSRC Workshop on Micro-Geomechanics Across Multiple Strain Scales, Cambridge, UK, March 21, 2005.
- DeJong, J.T. and Simmonds, T., (2004) Session Title: “Instrumentation at Extreme Temperatures: New Developments and Case Histories”, Transportation Research Board Meetings, Committee A2K01.
- Organizing Committee – Technical Co-Chair, Program Co-Chair, Short Course, Workshop and Debate Chair, (2006) Geotechnical Engineering in the Information Technology Age, GeoCongress Atlanta 2006, February 26 – March 1, 2006.
- Organizer (2007) – International Workshop on Bio-Soil Interactions and Engineering, NSF/EPSRC Joint Workshop (Kenichi Soga was UK Organizer), Boston, MA, April 1-4, 2007.
- Scientific Committee (2008) First International Conference on Bio-Geo-Civil Engineering, Deflt, Netherlands, June 23-25, 2008.
- International Advisory Committee Member (2010) 2nd International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics, November 8-10, 2010.
- Local Organizing Committee Member (2010) 2nd International Symposium on Cone Penetration Testing, May 9-11, 2010.
- Organizer (2011) – 2nd International Workshop on Bio-Soil Interactions and Engineering, NSF Workshop (Kenichi Soga is UK co-organizer), Cambridge, England, September 16-18, 2011.